Thursday, June 20, 2013

Experimenting with KT Taping for edema

I recently talked about the benefits of kinesio tape and how its innovation is taking sports treatment and athletes to a new level.  In that post I specifically talked about a new method of taping used specifically for edema, and since my body couldn't feel any stiffer yesterday after playing for 8 hours, I figured I would put it to the test.

I only taped my right thigh to compare it to my left as the "control".  Keep in mind that I don't have any certification or professional qualifications for this treatment, rather I just did some simple research on tips and application, but with that in mind I still recommend having a physical therapist handle the application for edema.

As for the results, I would say that it mildly improved the discomfort in my thigh.  I left the tape on for 4 hours while I slept, and took it off before I had to go to work.  It is very tedious to cut the tape yourself, so I would recommend getting the precut tape like the kinds from the SpiderTech brand.  I would bet that it works better for serious injuries opposed to just fatigue related discomfort, so I will still stand by my tried and true method for fast recovery with sound diet, light stretching, foam rolling, and ample rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment