Saturday, June 15, 2013

2 Added Tour Stops? When Did The AVP Do This?

As I was randomly perusing the AVP's website it struck me that their tour schedule this year seemed longer than when I last visited it, and as I did a double take, I realized that it was in fact longer.  I don't know when they added 2 new tour stops (Manhattan from August 23rd - 25th, and Atlantic City from September 6th - 8th), but I guess it must have been when I was incommunicado because I can't remember ever seeing it on my newsfeed.

Anyways, it was rumored that IMG was hoping to do the Manhattan in late August anyways so at least this year the players will get to play in "the grand daddy of them all".  Sports without tradition is just organized athletic chaos, so I'm glad to see the AVP have stronger representation on the West coast, opposed to the NVL which is trying to have a more diversified outreach, but in a time when the sport is very fragile and unstable in the US it would serve any tour to build off of their strengths, and that means rekindling the passion and enthusiasm in California.  The sport, and volleyball in general, lives and dies in that state.  It is the assumed leader and standard of both the indoor and outdoor game.   It leads the dance, sets the bar, and tells all of us to jump, and when we gaze upon its glory and rich heritage we will then know how high, but with out California we won't know how far we can truly go.

Click Here For The Full AVP Schedule

Side Note:
I'm sure it may seem that I have an extreme bias for the West coast and California in particular, but I am actually a born and raised Chicagoan, so I understand that if Jordan is healthy you don't let Scottie Pippen run the offense.  That means more Huntington, Hermosa, and even Mission Beach need to have priority as tour stops over newer markets like Vail and Toronto (yes, the NVL decided to take their domestic tour north of the border...why?...I don't know) 

No comments:

Post a Comment